Is it OK to say this? I think I'm done grieving the loss of my husband.
Oh boy. I'm not sure about this. Just writing the words makes me feel uneasy.
It's
been almost three years since Brian died. In these almost three years I have dwelt upon
his death, worked hard to understand its effect on me, written
extensively about Brian, cancer, death and widowhood, renewed my self and
spirit through friendship, felt sorry for myself,
experienced deep pain, sadness and loneliness, and adapted to life as a
single woman. I used dating as a strategy to push away
the pain of losing my husband only to find that in being rudely dumped
by one guy I finally got it: my wonderful husband was actually gone and
never coming back; there would be no repeat of the incredible piece of
good fortune that was our meeting and our marriage. (It took almost three years to REALLY get that my terrific marriage was over, Brian was gone, and my life had to essentially restart in foreign territory.)
I
once read that it takes a "significant life event" to make profound
change occur once you've reached adulthood. Well, Brian's death was that
event and I am now changed forever. I feel like a different person, a
better person, a more content person, a more sober person. The
contentment comes, ironically, from truly understanding that one day I
will die and this wonderful life and all it holds will be gone. And so, I
cherish it more and worry a whole lot less. I am not the same Kimberly I
was before. I have lost a great deal. And yet, I think that I am through
grieving. For now, that is. Because my "significant life event" has
taught me that there is life on the one hand and loss on the other.
Those hands are clasped together. You can't live without loss, you can
only decide how to live well despite it.
Yet, I feel bad
thinking that I'm done with grief, like I'm not supposed to ever be
done. It's a fix I'm in. If I was still mourning Brian's loss and living
in the middle of grief 20 years after his death certainly I would be
stuck...I wouldn't have successfully managed to accept his death and to
go on with my own life. But to believe that I have reached a place where
I am no longer grieving? What does that mean?
Here's what it means to me:
I have accepted Brian's death and made a decision to live as well and as joyfully as I can anyway.
I
can now think about Brian with primary emotions other than just despair
or sadness or hopelessness or guilt or regret. Mingled in there now in
equal measure are happiness, contentment, gratitude, joy, peace, and
strength.
It will always be painful that Brian died. There will
continue to be many moments that make me cry for the infinite absence,
the hole, the lost future, the what-could-have-beens.
When
someone dies, a common refrain the widow hears goes as follows: "Your
memories will sustain you" or "He'll live on in your thoughts." I once
wrote soon after Brian died that the thought of living on memories is like
driving on fumes. But today, almost three years later, I'm starting to
understand what it means to be sustained by memory. I will turn 35 years
old this year. There is so much
precious material to be mined in those almost three years now gone. I can see that
now.
Once again, I can see a future that excites me instead of
one that feels hostile, unknown and foreign. When Brian was sick and I
feared he would die and leave me alone, I was filled with fear and dread
so severe I couldn't live with it without turning to medication. After
he died, my world felt as though it had crumbled. I actually had a dream
in which the floor of my kitchen developed an enormous crater in the
middle of it...my foundation was disintegrating.
I have rebuilt
in these almost three years a completely different structure that may have more
doors and windows. I feel more open to possibility, more willing to
embrace change, more able to be just who I am without apologizing for
myself, more inclined to see what's out in the world, even if it's
unexpected. Loss has informed me: there is no one way to safety. There
isn't safety. There's just experience, good, bad, neutral. When you
live, when you're not dead, what you get is to experience. I compare
myself to Brian who can't experience anything anymore: not love, not loss,
not pain, not pleasure. I'd rather be alive to take it all on.
Yes,
I think I'm done grieving for now. I never thought I'd get here. It was
the hardest work I've ever done, but I'm glad I did it. I gave it my
all.
No comments:
Post a Comment