Original date 5 May 2012
There's a poignant quote from a book that I truly related to in the first days and months after my love's death:
"My
heart was chilled to ice. I felt ill with grief. But there was no time
for frozen shock. Something in me did not want to give up on life, was
unwilling to let go, wanted to fight the very end. Where that part of me
got the heart, I don’t know."
I didn't know how I could still live...still breathe...without my other half on earth...by my side.
I turned on all things and people around me...believed in nothing....loathed my fear that deterred me from taking my own life.
But now I know.
Know
how that part of me remembered I had the heart to keep living, to keep
breathing...but most importantly, to keep growing, giving, and healing.
He did.
You
see, Brian was not in the Marine Corps for his life career...only 11
years...as a way to feel challenged in life....to feel as if he was
making a difference...to feel passion for something outside of himself
and for those around him.
I never quite understood it. Understood
the ability to be willing to risk one's own life for another he barely
knew. To pursue a career that no one around him could even fathom doing.
And
yet Brian followed his heart . Became whole. Helped his comrades
grow...pursue their dreams....find purpose. The same purpose he was once
looking for but had found...if only for a short period in time.
That's how I had the heart to keep going.
He
showed me...gave me the ability to say, that my love died doing what he
loved, followed the path wholeheartedly, and had no fear when passion
was the guiding light.
He gave me the ability to see that I could
do the same...find that passion, pursue it, change my own life and
hopefully those around me, and, when the moment comes....one day....one
decade...one hundred years from now...and fate meets me face to
face....those who know me will be able to say the same, as I've been
able to say for my husband.
All because I realized not where I got the heart from...but was reminded that I had it all along.
No comments:
Post a Comment