Friday, May 11, 2012

Veteran's Day

Original date 11 November 2011

I guess in a way this day is not so much different than yesterday or the day before, but it's a day that I am reminded of Brian's service and eventual sacrifice...with his uniforms that hang lifeless in the closet...with the flag displayed on the shelf.

It's a day brought to the attention to those outside of my realm, and so a day that I am able to talk about him a bit more and know he's being remembered.

So my answer for what I will do today is:

Remember his strength and courage. Remember the love that was shown to him and that he showed others that gave him the ability to sacrifice his all in the name of sanctifying those attributes and the root of their being. I'll reflect on how lucky I was that he chose me, not only to love but to tell his story.
I'll think of the men and women of the military that allowed him to flourish in his passion in life and allowed him the ability to die having found it. I'll think about those that came before him and after him in serving our country. I'll think of how proud I am of him and how I hope to make him proud, too.

"They went with songs to the battle, they were young. Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow. They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted, They fell with their faces to the foe. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."

No comments:

Post a Comment