Saturday, May 12, 2012

sucker punch

Original date 20 January 2012

If you're on Facebook, you've probably seen the postings about the birthday video for Rachel, a recent widow. 
 
I don't really know the details of her story, but from the video it seems her husband was fighting cancer and he made a video for her as a present for her birthday. The video is of him, holding poster boards of his words -not speaking, but showing video of their wedding, telling her how much he loves her, and their two small children are in the video too. It is absolutely precious. Of course (and I say that as a bitter widow of cancer) - of course he dies.

I saw the link to the video on FB, and it even had a great "grab some tissues" warning on it. Like an idiot, I watched. I sat alone on my bed and cried like a baby. It was just so damned beautiful, and so freaking sad. I felt her loss like my own, and for a few gut wrenching sobs I was transported back 2 years ago, hating cancer, mad at God and wondering why life is so painful and unfair. The instant gut reaction caught me off guard and the black thoughts weren't so easily dismissed.

Death sucks and it will always suck. Cancer sucks.

Rachel's video was beautiful and a horrible reminder of the victims of the disease and the senseless loss. It hit me hard and I'm still pissed.

RECNAC KCUF

No comments:

Post a Comment