Original date 8 September 2011
After the funeral I wanted to be left alone. The suffocating hugs and
tears and the “Call me. I’ll bring over a bagel. I’ll scoop it out for
you” was kind, but irritating. There was no pleasing me. Bring Brian
back. That’s all I wanted.
I wish today, a year later, I could cash in on the services offered then. “Rain check, please!” should have been my mantra.
Sympathy
ought to be like a postdated check or a gift certificate with no
expiration date. At the beginning we’re just too foggy to appreciate
being the center of attention. We’re like the bride and groom at a
wedding except no groom is involved and it’s not a joyous occasion.
Strike that stupid analogy.
A
reasonable analogy might be “youth is wasted on the young.” Weepy
widows can snap our fingers and like Dominos Pizza there’s a knock at
the door within thirty minutes.
Talk about being too good to last.
Part of me, apparently, the self absorbed part, was aware that I only
had a year before I’d wear out friends and family with demands to butter
my toast and help me off with my boots. If only I wasn’t self conscious
and embarrassed to break down in front of people I might have milked it
through to the 12 month mark.
It’s exhausting to put on strong face giving people the impression “Oh, she’s okay. She’s more than okay. She’s remarkable.”
Being
stoic comes more naturally to me than publically sobbing and carrying
on “Oh, why did he leave me? Why? Why? Why?” I left the drama to my
private time. I suffered in silence; hence, I missed out on many a home
cooked meal, a free movie or two and possibly even a Broadway show.
Sometimes these days I feel cheated and want to scream “Do over!”
That’s insane so I keep it to myself which is the difference with actually being insane and not being insane, I think.
Regardless, I can’t change who I am. I put on a happy face which 'happiness experts' suggest may have helped me become happy.
Anyway,
that's how I roll. I love saying “That’s how I roll” because I’m not
that cool and it makes me feel I might be just a teeny bit.
Rain Check, please!
No comments:
Post a Comment