Original date 24 January 2012
As a young woman entering into adulthood with lofty goals, sterling
ideals, and great hope for the future I could have easily created a long
list of my personal beliefs. This list would have included ideas about
both the tangible and the intangible; broad concepts and specific
ideals; God and mortal beings. There would probably even have been a
mention of death and eternity…but only in the abstract because my
beliefs about death were untested until October 6, 2010.
My
husband’s untimely death turned my personal credo upside down. The day I
lost my husband was the same day that theory became reality, and faith
became more than just a concept to which I paid lip service.
Grief is
the ultimate test of faith. Faith requires trust. Death robbed me of the
sense of security on which trust is so often based, making the idea of
trust incomprehensible. And the whole vicious circle renewed itself
daily as I tried in vain to determine why I was living a sorrow filled
nightmare. My inability to escape the reality of widowhood forced me to
evaluate my idealistic beliefs and determine whether they could
withstand the blinding glare of grief.
As the reality of my
husband’s death set in, I began to imagine the following personal truths
as tall pillars that I view through a cloud of dust and rubble created
by a major earthquake. Though everything around these support beams has
fallen, they miraculously remain. I rub my eyes to look again, because
for any structure to survive an earth shattering experience of this
magnitude seems impossible…and yet these columns stand tall amongst the
debris of loss and grief.
I believe that God is not a being who
resides in a structure, but a spirit who lives in the hearts, and hands,
of loving people. I believe in everlasting love. I believe that the
length of your life is not an indication of your impact on the world. I
believe that time is indeed a gift. I believe that human beings have the
power to heal each other. I believe that shared experience can bond
individuals in a unique and life changing way. I believe that our lives
are a tapestry and each experience, wonderful or terrible, adds richness
to the final fabric. I believe that tomorrow is only a dream. I believe
that life is too short to hold grudges. I believe that people are
inherently good. I believe that the people who come into my life do so
for a reason. I believe that kindness changes lives. I believe that this
too shall pass. I believe that life is a gift, but like all gifts must
be opened to be truly appreciated.
These are a few of the pillars
that have survived my personal earthquake. I lean on them when I feel
unable to stand. When grief occasionally stirs the dust of sorrow, I
look for them to steady my course. My widowhood experience has taught me
that when faith requires me to walk forward blindly, those pillars will
guide the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment