Original date 12 December 2011
Time is healing me, I suppose, but it's also taking me further and
further away from Brian. Each day that passes is more time without the
love, comfort and stability he so freely gave me. As the days pile up,
I'm going more and more crazy for the comfort a loving spouse can bring.
It's been so long since he's told me he loves me, wrapped his arms
around me, made love to me, cuddled me. It's withdrawal.
Of course
it is. People aren't meant to go so long without those things. We're
biologically programmed to need physical touch. And I don't mean the
physical touch I can get from the massage therapist. I mean touch with
mutual love involved. Most of us aren't meant to be alone. It's not a
state we seek. We seek out another. We seek love and companionship.
It's
been so long since I had that and so far the need for it has just
grown. It's so frustrating that this desperate need corresponds to a
time when I am without that kind of love. It has been taken from me.
I
keep thinking of a scene from the movie "Things We Lost in the Fire."
The main character's husband has just died and her husband's best friend
comforts her. She asks him to get in bed with her and hold her exactly
the way her husband held her just so she can fall asleep.
All my married girlfriends can rest assured that I'm not going to ask their husbands for that
kind of a favor, but I can so relate to her need for that brand of
comfort. It's not logical or conscious. It's brain stem stuff. There is
no out-thinking it. It just is. And it seems to intensify as time
stretches on.
I'm jealous of the character in that scene, but I
also imagine that in real life, it would still feel hollow and empty to
have a simulation snuggle. There's no love, just need...desperate
need...for comfort and being held. Maybe it's a short term fix, but in
the long run, the loved one is still gone and maybe afterward it would
feel even worse. The minute that person's no longer holding you, you
have to face reality again. Face day to day life without a partner. Face
the fact that they held you close, not out of romantic, mutual love,
but out of a desire to ease your pain for a moment. It's a fake.
And
the truth is, as great as it sounds and looks on screen, I know me and I
know that I don't feel fully comfortable with touch unless there's a
level of trust that's built over time. I also know with deep conviction,
that I would rather be alone than be with someone who doesn't enrich my
life. But guess what alone means? That biological need not being met.
This is just how it is. There isn't a way around it, only through it. But knowing that doesn't make this easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment