Original date 23 September 2011
One year ago my husband died after heroically battling cancer. I woke
up the next morning, and felt certain that I had been dreaming. With my
eyes closed, I slid my hand across the bed to Brian's side, and felt
the cold sheets where his warm body used to lie. I wasn't dreaming.
The
pain of his absence was searing. There were so many days when I thought
for SURE that the gut wrenching pain would kill me. In fact, to this
day, I am still surprised that it didn't. I felt like a zombie that was
bleeding internally, and dragging my blood soaked bandages as I wandered
aimlessly through life.
Attractive, yes?
Day by painful day I put
one foot in front of the other. Many days were awful, others were
worse. Getting out of bed was sometimes a Herculean effort, but other
times getting into that empty bed at the end of the day took every ounce
of strength I could muster. My life was full of these mind-bending
contradictions. I wanted to be alone; I hated being alone. I ached to be
around familiar friends, but their presence shone a spotlight on the
hole left by Brian's death. I wanted everything in my life to go back to
the way it was, and yet everything familiar was also torturous. Yes,
no, move forward, run back, cry, laugh, cry some more...I felt like a
spinning top with endless momentum. When would the pain stop, and who
would I be when or if it finally did?
Maybe the hardest part of
healing for me has been the fear of what would come after. After what?
After I was done. After I was "better." After I reached the semi-dreaded
state of acceptance. After I was done being widowed. What would happen
then?
I can't tell you what will happen for you when you have
lived through 365 days of widowhood, but I can tell you what I have
learned this first year. First, I will never get over Brian's death. I
am certain I will always think the fact that he lost his life was a
terrible waste and that the world would have been better with him in it.
Next, I now believe that my widowhood belongs to me in the same way
that my sisterhood, and daughterhood, and friendhood does.
Being widowed
is part of my life story, and this painful chapter has colored the rest
of my life in rich, deep colors. Lastly, I have realized that life will
always be delivering a new challenge, another test, a different
circumstance to my doorstep. How I handle the package will determine
what impact the unexpected bomb, or bouquet, has on the next chapter of
my life. Thanks to my widowhood, I know I will survive.
And what will happen after? I will be okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment